The word strategy comes from the Greek word “strategos”, which means general.
A general is someone who leads or commands an army. Strategy is the art of applying your forces in the most effective way possible to achieve the desired result.
An organization has many departments with specialists in different fields. However, no matter how specialized departments may be, everyone needs to operate as a team and work together towards common goals.
In any organization, there are several people with specialist knowledge and expertise: accountants, operations managers, HR managers, marketing specialists, and so on.
But do they all have an understanding of The Art Of Strategy?
Do they all play their part in helping the company achieve its objectives?
Are they all aligned so that everyone works towards a common goal?
The answer to these questions is not always positive too often that isn’t the case.
What is strategy?
A strategy is a plan of action to achieve an objective. The strategy involves making measured and informed decisions based on a clear, long-term view of the business environment.
Strategy is often summarized as the “what”, “how” and “why” of an organization’s activities.
While the “what” refers to the products or services that an organization provides, the “how” refers to the methods used to deliver those products and services. The “why” refers to the reason for the existence of the organization and the long-term vision.
Strategy is not a one-time event, but something that needs to be reviewed and revised regularly to reflect changes in the marketplace and in the organization.
A good strategy will take into account the organization’s strengths and weaknesses, its competitors and customers, and the overall economic environment.
A strategy also needs to identify the organization’s core competencies, or what it does best, and how it will use them to create a competitive advantage.
The strategy needs to be communicated throughout the organization to ensure everyone is working towards the same goals.
Why is strategy important?
Strategy is the art of applying your forces in the most effective way possible to achieve the desired result. Strategy is the plan that guides the direction and focus of an organization.
It is the way you compete and win in the marketplace. A company cannot succeed without a good strategy.
It should be the organization’s guiding light, leading it to where it wants to go.
Unfortunately, many organizations don’t have a clear strategy. A strategy allows an organization to focus its efforts and make better decisions about where to invest, who to hire, and what markets to enter or exit.
A good strategy guides the company to success by allowing the organization to focus on its strengths.
A company that has a clear strategy and is focused on what it does best is more likely to succeed than one that is trying to do everything.
What is the role of a strategist?
The strategist leads the team that develops the business strategy of the company. This may be due to a desire to present the profession as more of a modern discipline than it used to be.
The strategist is the person in charge of developing the organization’s business strategy.
A strategist works with senior management to identify problems and opportunities, as well as the organization’s desired goals. The strategist directs the group in developing the best strategy to accomplish those objectives.
The strategist utilizes strategy tools to assess the environment and organization, in order to develop the most effective strategy.
Why is strategy so important in the business world?
Strategy is essential in today’s business world, where a new product or service can be obsolete before it even reaches the market.
This rapid pace of change has led many to coin the phrase “industry is a term of the past”. As industries decline, new ones emerge, with the latter often created by new technologies.
This means the competitive landscape is very fluid, with established players losing ground to newcomers. In this environment, organizations that can’t keep up with the pace of change will fail.
Those that stay informed and react quickly to developments in the marketplace will succeed. The best way to stay informed is to have a clear strategy that directs the actions and choices of the organization.
Without a strategy, it’s easy to become distracted and to react to events rather than respond to them with purpose.
Reasons why your company needs a good strategy right now
– You can understand your organization’s strengths and weaknesses. You can identify areas for improvement and threats to your business.
… You can set goals to drive results. You can help lead the company in the right direction. You can disseminate the strategy to all employees. You can cooperate with outside stakeholders. You can invite them to join you in succeeding as partners.
– You can identify new opportunities and partners quickly. by responding to emerging trends quickly.
Also, you can adapt to changes more quickly than your competitors, thereby seizing new business opportunities.
… Risk can be managed. You can avoid getting surprised. You can stay focused on the important things. You can direct the company’s efforts more effectively. You can make intelligent choices.
Key questions when developing your Business Strategy
– What is our unique advantage in the marketplace?
– What are our strengths?
– What are our weaknesses?
– Where do we want to be in 5 years? in 10 years?
– How will we get there?
– Who are our customers and how can we serve them better?
– Who are our competitors and what do they offer that is similar to what we offer?
– How can we be more competitive than our competitors and win business away from them?
– How can we make money doing what the organization does best or most efficiently or at the lowest cost of goods sold or highest profit margin or highest return on investment or with the highest customer satisfaction (or another key metric)?
-Why are we in business?
-What do we want to achieve as a company?
-What are our priorities?
– What are our opportunities?
– What are our threats?
– How can we best use our strengths to take advantage of our opportunities and avoid our weaknesses?
The 5Ps of Business Strategy
– Purpose – What is the organization’s reason for being? What are its core values?
– Positioning – Where does the organization want to be in five years? How will it get there?
– Priorities – What will the organization focus on to get to where it wants to be?
– People – Who are the customers, employees, and partners of the organization? Who are the stakeholders and influencers?
– Process – What is the best way to operate the organization? What are the core competencies? … What is the right mix of activities? What is the right mix of people?
The 4Ps of Marketing Strategy
– Product – What is the product or service? Why should customers buy it or use it?
– Price – What is the price that customers are willing and able to pay for it or for a service rendered?
– Place – Where and how will the product or service reach its intended market?
– Promotion – How will customers find out about the product, service, and company? Will they buy it because of advertising, word of mouth, personal recommendation, etc.?
The art of developing a winning strategy
Assess the environment and your organization, Conduct a SWOT analysis. Identify opportunities and threats, Keep a close eye on the marketplace.
Define the desired outcomes Identify the organization’s core competencies.
Develop the best strategy for success Using the tools of strategy to analyze the environment and the organization. Communicate the strategy to all employees to Steer the company in the right direction.
Collaborate with stakeholders outside the organization to Identify new opportunities and partners.
Manage risk and avoid being blindsided and Stay focused on what’s important.
Direct the company’s efforts more effectively and Make informed decisions by Making the right choices.
Review and revise the strategy regularly Stay informed, and react quickly to developments in the marketplace.
Strategy is the art of applying your forces in the most effective way possible to achieve the desired result.
It involves making measured and informed decisions based on a clear, long-term view of the business environment. A company has many departments with specialists in different fields.
No matter how specialized the departments are, everyone needs to operate as a team and work together towards common goals.
Every company employs numerous specialists with specific knowledge and expertise, such as accountants, operations managers, HR managers, marketing specialists, and so on.
A company’s strategy must be understood by everyone, including these individuals.
Working towards the same goals and operating in a coordinated manner is critical if an organization is to succeed.
I am the the Founder of SuccessGrid and I am so grateful you’re here to be part of this awesome community. I love connecting with people who have a passion for Entrepreneurship, Self Development & Achieving Success. I started this website with the intention of educating and inspiring people to always strive to Raise the Standards to Achieve Greatness.