Have you ever met someone that gets so much done that you start to believe they must have more hours in their day than you do? Successful people often get the most important things done first thing in the morning; that way nothing that’s truly crucial ever gets pushed to “tomorrow”. In order to be more successful, stay motivated, and cultivate a positive, go-getter attitude there are some things that need to happen before breakfast.
- Map out your day. Without a “map” to your day, you may find yourself completing tasks as they come up or becoming tied to your email inbox. By strategizing your day you can be more productive and make sure you are getting things done by order of importance. Once the day starts, and you get into the weeds, there will be less time to think through the big picture and prioritize; which means you’ll be grateful you had a plan in place!
- Complete your most difficult task. In the morning, your mind is fresh and can more easily zone in on tasks that may require your complete attention. As a part of mapping out your day, pick the toughest thing you have to accomplish and get it done very first. That way the rest of your day will be filled with smaller items that you can easily check off your list. You will also avoid the added stress and dread that accompanies putting off challenging tasks until later in the day.
- Meditate, visualize, or be spiritual. The early hours of the morning are the perfect time to find a quiet place to meditate, visualize yourself being successful, and be spiritual. Once the day has begun, finding a quiet place can be near impossible, but mornings provide the perfect environment to connect mentally and spiritually and renew the sense of peace that often escapes us during our busy lives.
- Working out is one of the many things that can often be replaced by seemingly more important things throughout the day. Taking the time to exercise will help you be happier, healthier, and cope with stress more efficiently. Do something you enjoy and that helps you reduce stress; even a ten-minute walk in the morning can help you start the day off right.
- Write down something you’re grateful for. By remembering all the wonderful things our lives are blessed with, highly successful people become more optimistic and inspired. Take time each day to jot down one or two things that you are grateful for in your life. Although writing down big events or items is great, spend time focusing on all the little things that make your life better. Maybe today you are simply grateful for sunny weather, a delicious blueberry muffin, or a phone call from a friend. Noticing the small things in life will help you improve your outlook and maintain a positive, happy attitude each day.
“Lose an hour in the morning, and you will be all day hunting for it.” – Richard Whately